We’ve been eating a lot of comfort food the past several weeks (months?) The weather has been so cold, and when it’s so cold, I reach for the carbs. This next week is supposed to be nicer (warmer – maybe even 60s one day!) and we’re planning several days of salad. Our waistlines will thank us later…we hope.
We tried this eMeals recipe last week on one of our snow days. It’s from the budget friendly menu and it was a total hit. There’s a good balance of vegetables and noodles. I actually used about half of the pasta that it called for (and used a lot more vegetables.)
- 12 oz thin spaghetti, broken in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup beef broth, made with bouillon
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 (16-oz) pkg frozen stir-fry blend with sugar snap peas
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro OR 3 tsp dried cilantro
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Whisk together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, broth, vinegar, sesame oil and honey. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sauce mixture and vegetables to pan; toss and cook 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. The vegetables should be crisp-tender. Add chicken to skillet and heat thoroughly. Combine chicken mixture with hot cooked pasta in pasta pot; toss. Stir in cilantro and reserved pasta water, if needed.
It took me roughly 30 minutes from start to table. My husband has asked if we can make it again. I think that means it was a success.
And just in case you’re interested in the rest of our week, this is the menu we’ve whipped up:
Sunday: Sweet potato chili
Monday: Weight Watchers spicy chicken soft tacos
Tuesday: Slow cooker whole chicken
Wednesday: Tupelo Honey’s southern spring salad
Thursday: Lemon grass stir fry
Friday & Saturday: Out (I’m traveling.)
What new meals have you tried recently?
**Links above may be affiliate links. All opinions here are my own.