Blueberry season. I absolutely love it. In my area, I know a lot of people will hike to places that are known for their wild blueberries. We’re fortunate that my mom has several blueberry bushes in her back yard and that she doesn’t mind sharing (especially if we’re doing the picking.) Lucky for us blueberries can make great desserts, right? And this blueberry mug cake is everything.
My son is 5 (almost 6!) and has loved picking blueberries for years. He really loves eating fresh blueberries and if it’s out of season, he more than likely won’t eat the berries. While I enjoy eating fresh blueberries, I also like to make desserts with them. I made my first cobbler just two summers ago and I love mixing berries in pancakes, waffles, muffins – wherever we see fit. Blueberry smoothie? Sign me up.
But today we have a dessert for one – a Blueberry Microwave Mug Cake! You probably have these ingredients in your pantry or cupboards right now and there’s no need to make a full size cobbler (unless you’re really up for that challenge.) Mug cake. It’s what’s for dessert.
I love that there’s very little effort that has to go into this dessert. And dishes! Think of the dishes you’re saving on by making a blueberry mug cake just for yourself.
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole blueberries, fresh
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon sugar or sparkling sugar, to garnish
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add the milk, melted butter, vanilla and stir until all ingredients are just wet.
- Fold in the blueberries and transfer to your favorite large mug.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or sparkling sugar.
- Microwave for 1½ to 2 minutes.
Do you pick blueberries in the summer? What do you like to use them for (besides just eating them straight off the bushes or out of their tiny cartons!)