This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilySavings #CollectiveBias
I think laundry could be a full-time job. Somehow, I forgot just how many dirty clothes a very tiny human can accumulate, and I underestimated how much one extra load of laundry would throw my whole week. On a very bad week, you will find five or more clean loads of laundry on a couch downstairs just waiting to be folded. It could take two weeks to get everything back to where it belongs.
In addition to my time, I have to also look at where we can save money. We are paying more in childcare now than we pay on our mortgage. Imagine paying two mortgages each month. It isn’t pretty, so every dollar that we save in other places helps in the long run. This is something that everything should think about, especially when it comes to saving money in the right way. With this being said, there are many ways that we can all learn about how to invest money wisely. Understandably, everyone’s situation will be different, but no matter what we are going through, money is a factor that comes into play a lot of the time. We will all find a way of saving money that works best for us. I admit that we do subscribe to the Sunday newspaper (for coupons, and I get a pretty great discount), but I don’t always have time to sit down each week and clip coupons. When I do cut them, I often forget to take them to the store.
My mind has basically been working in overdrive since April and something has to give. I’m at a point today where all of our laundry is washed, folded and put away – and I managed to save several dollars (and a lot of time!) at Family Dollar Stores® with the Family Dollar® Smart Coupons.
So for the moms (and non-moms!) who are trying to get a handle on the laundry, might I suggest the following:
1. Assign children a laundry bag. When that laundry bag is full, the clothes are immediately washed. The thing with children’s clothing is everything is colorful, so I don’t separate their clothes. When my child’s bag is full, everything goes into the washer and once it’s dry it’s already sorted by child. It just needs to be folded and put away. I like to use Tide Pods to help retain colors and get clothes clean (and I can save $0.50 using the Family Dollar® Smart Coupons – more on that in a minute.)
2. Wash and dry a load of laundry daily – or every other day. It isn’t a lot of fun to wait until the weekend to do ALL of the chores. Why not spread some of the laundry love while you’re washing television? My husband and I have a laundry hamper/sorter in our room – darks, lights and whites. So that’s 3 loads of laundry each week. Add 2 loads for the kids and then a load of towels and a load for sheets, we have 7 loads of laundry each week! That feels like madness, and I don’t like to wash clothes only on the weekends. If I do 2-3 loads on Saturday, I can spread the others out during the week. (Using Tide Pods also helps with time – it’s so simple and quick to use one of the Tide Pods in the washer.)
3. Teach your children young to help put away clothes. I may fold my son’s clothes, but he understands where everything goes in his dresser. He doesn’t mind putting them away if I ask him. He just turned 5, so we’re working on the folding aspect.
4. Bag the socks. Literally, keep a delicates bag on hand for the tiny socks. I don’t do this for my husband and I, but a mesh bag for baby socks or little kid socks saves so much time and hassle when you’re trying to match them up! Plus, by using the bag, you don’t have to worry about socks being eaten by the dryer.
5. Save money with the Family Dollar® Smart Coupons program. If you are like me and don’t have time to clip coupons each week (or you tend to leave coupons at home), once you’re signed up for the Smart Coupons program, you can click on the coupons you want and it’s as simple as entering your phone number at the check out to save money! Right now Family Dollar® has the following very helpful coupons:
- Save $2.00 on ONE Swiffer Refill or Wet Jet solution (excludes trial/travel)
- Save $0.50 on ONE Downy Liquid Fabric Softener/Enhancer 40 load (excludes Downy Libre Enjuague and trial/travel size
- Save $0.50 on ONE Crest Toothpaste 3oz or more or Liquid Gel (excludes Kids and trial/travel size)
- Save $2.00 on ONE Tide Pods or Gain Flings Laundry Detergent (excludes Tide Simply and Gain Flings/Tide Pods 5 ct and trial/travel size).
So to sign up and use the Family Dollar® Smart Coupons program, here’s what you do:
- Sign up with your cell phone number.
- Once you’re registered, select the coupons you’d like to “clip”. You can do this from your phone, computer or a tablet. There’s an option to email these to yourself so you have a shopping list.
- Do your shopping at Family Dollar®. At the checkout, you’ll be prompted to enter your phone number. Once your cashier has rung up all items, your discounts will be applied. There’s no need for them to scan your phone or to take a coupon. It’s all connected through your phone number.
- Save money.
What’s your favorite tip for saving time and money when it comes to laundry?