It’s no surprise that peppermint is one of my favorite essential oils. I love that it gives me energy, but also helps clear my sinuses when I diffuse it at times. Plus it’s just one of my favorite scents. While I love a good bath bomb, I don’t take a ton of baths (I leave that to my kids) and I feel like shower steamers do a similar job for those of us who shower on the regular. Check out these peppermint snowflake shower steamers – they’re fairly easy to make and it is like diffusing peppermint while you shower!
Snowflake silicone mold (this is a similar mold to what is pictured.)
1 1/2 cups cornstarch, divided
40 drops peppermint essential oil, divided
2 tablespoons witch hazel, divided
4-6 tablespoons water, divided
blue soap colorant (optional)
1. Pour half of the cornstarch (3/4 cup) into a metal or glass mixing bowl. Add 20 drops of peppermint essential oil and 2 Tablespoons of water and stir.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of witch hazel. I like to use mine in a small spritzer bottle. It’s not required- I just think it gets distributed better that way). Stir again.
3. Pick some of the mixture up in your hand and squeeze it. If it holds its shape, it is ready to transfer to the mold. If not, add an additional tablespoon of water and stir.
4. Once your mixture passes the “squeeze test,” transfer to the snowflake molds, pressing down firmly to pack the mixture into each mold. Freeze for one hour.
(If you do not want blue snowflake shower steamers, skip steps 5 through 7!)
5. To make blue snowflake shower steamers, add 4-5 drops of blue soap colorant (more if you want a darker blue color) to a bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Add the colored water to the remaining cornstarch and mix. Add 20 drops of peppermint essential oil and stir well.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of witch hazel. Test the mixture to see if it clumps in your hand after squeezing it. If so, transfer the mix to the silicone molds. If not, add an additional tablespoon of water and stir. Repeat the “squeeze test.” If it stays together after squeezing the mixture, you are ready for the snowflake molds. If not, add an additional tablespoon of water.
7. Firmly pack the mixture into each mold and freeze for one hour.
8. Gently pop out each snowflake shower steamer from its silicone mold and allow to air dry overnight. Store in an airtight container. ENJOY!
How to use: Place 1-2 snowflake steamers in the corner of your shower, away from the main stream of water. The steam from the shower will help activate the steamer and release the uplifting and energizing aroma of peppermint!