Raise your hand if you’re grilling out, going to a cookout or heading to a social gathering of some sort this weekend? (**raises hands**) The past couple of weeks have been SLAMMED at work, and before I knew it, the Fourth of July was two days away. When we’re in town, we usually go to a party on the 3rd or 5th (this year it’s the 5th) and we have to take a dish to share.
So as I type this, I’m still trying to figure out what I can take. Thankfully, an email popped up this week with recipe ideas from eMeals!
Here are two dishes I’m considering for this weekend. (The watermelon salad is a dish that I have all ingredients already on hand. Winning!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a serving bowl.
- Add watermelon, cheese and pecans; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with mint, if desired.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Best served the day it’s made
Berry Topped Thunder Cake
Box German chocolate cake mix
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz jar hot fudge topping
16 oz carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
16 oz container strawberries, chopped
1 pint blueberries
4 chocolate-covered toffee bars, coarsely crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make and bake cake according to package directions in a 13×9-inch pan.
3. Cool 20 minutes in the pan. Invert cake onto a serving platter, if desired.
4. Poke holes all over warm cake using a wooden spoon handle. Slowly pour condensed milk over cake; spread evenly.
5. Heat fudge topping in microwave 10 to 20 seconds or until barely warm.
6. Slowly pour fudge topping over cake.
7. Let stand 20 minutes to cool. Spread whipped topping over cake.
8. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
9. Top cake with berries and crushed candy bars. Cut into squares to serve.
Note: Make ahead and refrigerate cake 3 hours or up to overnight. Best served cold
What are you making this weekend? Are you heading to or hosting a cookout?
Note: The above links are affiliate links. I have received a complimentary subscription to eMeals for the year, and all opinions about eMeals are my own.