The following is a sponsored post. While I’m being compensated for my time, all opinions are my own.
Our house is overrun with toys. I find them in my son’s room, the living room, our downstairs living area, dining room. I happen to know there’s a Transformer tucked into my bed right now (because my son thought it was the “kind” thing to do.)
My son is 4 years old and has more toys than he can keep up with. When we try to eliminate toys, he suddenly “loves” them. So we’re eliminating when he’s not around. Some toys are clearly important to him (some of his Legos, his transformers, his beloved Thomas the Train sets.) But others haven’t seen the light of day since he received them months – even years – ago.
He’s guilty of receiving a toy, playing with it for a week and forgetting it. It happens to the best of us. You may be stuck in a situation where your house is generally just a huge safety hazard, with toys lying around anywhere and everywhere. If so, you might want to check out something like Toy Box City for personalised toy boxes for your children. Hopefully that’ll make sure they actually put their toys away when they stop playing witht hem after a week! Thankfully for you, there is a service that can help parents save money, yet keep the kids entertained.
Enter Pley. A subscription service to rent toys versus buying them. So smart! For as low as $19.99 a month, you choose a toy to try out, they mail it to you and when your child is done with the toy, you send it back. This is perfect for Lego lovers who enjoy putting together a set and moving onto a new set. Pley has over 400 Lego sets and robotics toys!
A few reasons why renting may be better than buying:
1. Save money! The subscription starts at $19.99 a month (many of the toys my son ignores cost much more than $19.99.)
2. Save on clutter. Once your child is done with that particular toy, send it back. It doesn’t take up space in your dining room (or your bed.)
3. Entertainment value. My boy loves playing with new things. He’d be ecstatic if he knew he was going to be getting a new toy every month (he’d forget about the others!) He might be lucky enough to get a remote controlled excavators for kids one month!
4. Lessen the impact on your local landfill. How many pieces of plastic do you think you send to landfill every month or year? I’m sure in my household it’s a lot. Renting is sharing, and reduces the amount of plastic toys that are meeting their demise in the landfill.
5. Expose your child to new toys they may have skipped over in stores. Try new things without committing to keep them only to find out your child has zero interest. If your child does seem to love a toy, you can purchase it through Pley. They take the “try before you buy” philosophy to a whole new level!
Have you ever rented toys for your child?